Gedcom Export improvements

Moderator: Elena Polyanskikh

robotriot

Gedcom Export improvements

#1 Post by robotriot »

It would be great if the Gedcom Export would support the option of changing the names/dates of living people for privacy reasons. Also, removing all notes would be great as well, these are mostly for my own use, and I don't want to upload them elsewhere.

Elena Polyanskikh

Re: Gedcom Export improvements

#2 Post by Elena Polyanskikh »

robotriot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:27 am It would be great if the Gedcom Export would support the option of changing the names/dates of living people for privacy reasons. Also, removing all notes would be great as well, these are mostly for my own use, and I don't want to upload them elsewhere.
Thank you for the suggestion. How should the changed names/dates look like?

In the current version you can create a filter to eliminate all living people from Gedcom: create a filter "Alive=No", then tick this filter and then export data to Gedcom, the file will not contain any living person.
Agelong Tree support team
https://genery.com/

robotriot

Re: Gedcom Export improvements

#3 Post by robotriot »

Thanks for the tip with the filter, that's helpful. However sometimes, I need the living persons to still be contained within the Gedcom.

There are multiple ways on how to do this:

- some programs/websites replace the first name with LIVING, but leave the last name
- some programs/websites replace both first and last name with LIVING
- some programs/websites remove the first name and replace the last name with LIVING
- all of them remove the exact birth dates, some leave the birth years in tact, other remove dates entirely

The optimal solution would be to let the user decide, what to include/exclude in the export dialog. The safest and easiest way is probably to remove as much information as possible, without deleting the person entirely.