Various Suggestions

Moderator: Elena Polyanskikh

Rhapsody

Various Suggestions

#1 Post by Rhapsody »

Hey, first just wanna say, I love your program. The ability to make custom events and the flexibility it provides definitely puts your program a step above many of the other similar genealogy programs.

I do have a couple suggestions, though, which I will list in order of most to least important:

1. Same Sex Marriages
This is probably the most glaring flaw in your program, is that it doesn't allow the possibility for same sex marriages. I really love your program, but it's very strange that in 2021 I am unable to show my son being married to his husband without making one of them the incorrect gender. Simply changing the "Add Wife"/"Add Husband" options to "Add Spouse" would alleviate this, I believe.

2. Nicknames + Alternate Names
Firstly, you should be able to add nicknames in a similar way to Prefixes/Suffixes. Then, the nickname will be shown between the person's middle name and surname.
I.E., if someone on your tree is named John Adam Smith, and you give them the nickname Johnny, it will display as: John Adam "Johnny" Smith.
Additionally, you should be able to add alternative names to a person, for cases of records showing conflicting spellings, a person having multiple married names from different spouses, or if the person ever legally changed their name otherwise. (I think simplest way to handle this would be to have Alternate Names listed on the person's profile, but not on the actual tree)

3. Maiden Names
This is the least important one by far, but I feel you should be able to change how maiden names are shown.
Right now, if John Smith is married to Jane Doe, it will show her name as Jane Smith (Doe), but I think the following display options should be provided in the settings:
Jane Smith (Doe)
Jane Smith, née Doe
Jane Smith-Doe
Jane Doe-Smith

(also of note is that, if it is a man with a maiden name, the second option would be written as "John Doe, né Smith", with 'né' being the masculine equivalent of 'née'.)

Elena Polyanskikh

Re: Various Suggestions

#2 Post by Elena Polyanskikh »

Rhapsody wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:47 pm Hey, first just wanna say, I love your program. The ability to make custom events and the flexibility it provides definitely puts your program a step above many of the other similar genealogy programs.

I do have a couple suggestions, though, which I will list in order of most to least important:

1. Same Sex Marriages
This is probably the most glaring flaw in your program, is that it doesn't allow the possibility for same sex marriages. I really love your program, but it's very strange that in 2021 I am unable to show my son being married to his husband without making one of them the incorrect gender. Simply changing the "Add Wife"/"Add Husband" options to "Add Spouse" would alleviate this, I believe.

2. Nicknames + Alternate Names
Firstly, you should be able to add nicknames in a similar way to Prefixes/Suffixes. Then, the nickname will be shown between the person's middle name and surname.
I.E., if someone on your tree is named John Adam Smith, and you give them the nickname Johnny, it will display as: John Adam "Johnny" Smith.
Additionally, you should be able to add alternative names to a person, for cases of records showing conflicting spellings, a person having multiple married names from different spouses, or if the person ever legally changed their name otherwise. (I think simplest way to handle this would be to have Alternate Names listed on the person's profile, but not on the actual tree)

3. Maiden Names
This is the least important one by far, but I feel you should be able to change how maiden names are shown.
Right now, if John Smith is married to Jane Doe, it will show her name as Jane Smith (Doe), but I think the following display options should be provided in the settings:
Jane Smith (Doe)
Jane Smith, née Doe
Jane Smith-Doe
Jane Doe-Smith

(also of note is that, if it is a man with a maiden name, the second option would be written as "John Doe, né Smith", with 'né' being the masculine equivalent of 'née'.)
Thank you for your feedback!
We are planning to add same sex marriages in version 6.

Nicknames, you can create them in the current version. Go to Table options - "Data fields", create a text field:
2021-08-22_11-23-43.jpg
2021-08-22_11-23-43.jpg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 17280 times

Enter a name for the field and tick "Can be used in full name":
2021-08-22_11-24-48.jpg
2021-08-22_11-24-48.jpg (37.6 KiB) Viewed 17280 times

Then in "All actions" - "Program options" click "Persons" and set the right position for the "Nickname" in the full name:
2021-08-22_11-31-41.jpg
2021-08-22_11-31-41.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 17280 times

For maiden names: you can choose the order of names moving Maiden surname field up or down, and you can change the prefix and suffix, by default it's ( ), but you can set any:
2021-08-22_11-33-58.jpg
2021-08-22_11-33-58.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 17280 times
Agelong Tree support team
https://genery.com/