Relationships

Moderator: Elena Polyanskikh

EvaGordon

Relationships

#1 Post by EvaGordon »

There might be a way to do this that I don't know about, but it would be nice to have "Relationship" and "Break-Up" as alternatives to "Marriage" and "Divorce" so we can include meaningful longterm relationships on our trees. They could be listed on the tree below in the same way as spouses, just labelled boyfriend/girlfriend instead of husband/wife (or maybe just label it "Partner" so it could be open to be used for more things than just dating)

On a less important note, it would be nice to be able to put close family friends with no real connection on the same tree. Maybe they could be connected with a dotted line to show they aren't actually related. Just a thought.

Elena Polyanskikh

Re: Relationships

#2 Post by Elena Polyanskikh »

EvaGordon wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 am There might be a way to do this that I don't know about, but it would be nice to have "Relationship" and "Break-Up" as alternatives to "Marriage" and "Divorce" so we can include meaningful longterm relationships on our trees. They could be listed on the tree below in the same way as spouses, just labelled boyfriend/girlfriend instead of husband/wife (or maybe just label it "Partner" so it could be open to be used for more things than just dating)

On a less important note, it would be nice to be able to put close family friends with no real connection on the same tree. Maybe they could be connected with a dotted line to show they aren't actually related. Just a thought.
Eva, thank you for your suggestions!

Speaking about unregistered relationships, we recommend to use the event called Common-law marriage, the people are labelled as Common-law wife/husband. This is the official term that includes all unregistered types of relationship, isn't it? What do you think? Usually boyfriend/girlfriend do not necessarily live together. Do common-law marriages imply necessarily living together or not?
Agelong Tree support team
https://genery.com/

EvaGordon

#3 Post by EvaGordon »

Hi Elena,

I think common law marriage is a nice option to have, although I still think being able to keep track of more general relationships would be nice too, which is why I suggested the Relationship and Break Up events. For instance, if you could list someone as just being "in a relationship" with or a "partner" to someone else as I suggested, it would be able to cover cases like cohabitation, unwed couples, or long-term couples who don't live together/aren't engaged yet. I know common law marriage technically does apply to some of those, but it's still sort of weird having them listed as husband/wife when they're not actually legally married.

(I know it will say 'child's mother/father' if the couple has a child, which is nice, but it would also be nice to be able to have those types of couples be able to show up on the tree without kids too.)

Elena Polyanskikh

#4 Post by Elena Polyanskikh »

I see your point. Thank you for your suggestion and explanations.
The only problem we see is that Gedcom standard (which was created in USA) does not have such events, so if you transfer your data to another genealogical program, you may lose some events. However we're thinking of adding such events. We think it is necessary to be able to reflect modern events in the program.
What country are you from? As I've just read in Wikipedia, the "common-law marriage" term is never used in Australia, so we need more information.
Agelong Tree support team
https://genery.com/